Awards and Programs for  The Garden Club of Switzerland Florida Go To the Resources Page Go to the About Us Page go to the Events and Calendar page Go to the Home Page

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Growing our Future Gardeners
   by Arlene Hendrickson, Master Gardener

The Junior Gardening Program at Julington Creek Elementary was started by Beverly Fleming and Ms. Woodward, a kindergarten teacher. I was asked to take over the program three years ago and have loved it ever since. We have a small garden outside the window of the kindergarten pods. One half of the garden is planted with perennial butterfly-attracting flowers. The other half is planted with seasonal vegetables that I put in for the children to watch as they grow. We have had luck with lettuce, radishes, tomatoes and squash.

The children are a delight, funny, honest, happy and eager to learn. Hopefully, they learn from my monthly visits with them. This year the topics included beach treasures, cacti, and succulents. They are very visual learners, so I constantly roam my subdivision for ideas for topics, and of course, for samples of plants, tree branches, bird nests, and other materials suitable for their lessons. I share their pearls of wisdom and wonderful anecdotes with our Garden Club members at our monthly meeting. These children truly give me joy. I hope that these budding youngsters will grow up to be master gardeners who love to garden as much as I do, and want to share that love with the next "crop".

No comments:

Post a Comment